West Berkshire Council

Increase in Council Tax for 2017/18

An explanation of how the Council Tax increase works for 2017/18

The following explanation only relates to the West Berkshire element of your Council Tax bill. You can find out more information online relating to the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service and Police and Crime Commissioner elements of your bill.

Last year, for 2016/17, the government allowed local councils to increase Council Tax by up to 3.99%:

  • 2%  in relation to expenditure on Adult Social Care
  • 1.99%  in relation to other expenditure

For this year, 2017/18, the government has advised that local councils can increase Council Tax by up to 4.99%:

  • an additional 3% (to be added on top of the 2% from 2016/17) in relation to expenditure on Adult Social Care
  • 1.99% in relation to other expenditure

Further information in relating to the Adult Social Care element was/is provided in the leaflets enclosed with annual bills. 

The table below relates to an average Band D property.*

YearAdult Social Care precept*West Berkshire precept*Total West Berkshire elementTotal West Berkshire % increase

£25.27 (2%)



(2% plus 3%)

(£25.27 plus £39.42)



The additional 3% in the Adult Social Care precept is a 3% increase on the 2016/17 Total West Berkshire Element figure. The amount on the 2017/18 bill therefore shows an increase of 3% for the Adult Social Care precept.
The total amount of Council Tax that will be used, to date, for Adult Social Care is £64.69 (2% (£25.27) from 2016/17 and the additional 3% (£39.42) from 2017/18).

The West Berkshire element is added to the other precepts, including the Police and Fire Services and town and parish council precepts, to give a total charge.

Comparing the average 'Band D' Council Tax bill for 2016/17 and 2017/18, the total charge has risen by 4.5%.

How we show different figures on our bills is largely determined by legislation and we can't change them. We are aware this has caused confusion in the past, and to try and remedy this, next year's tax bills will contain more information and a clearer explanation.

If you have any questions regarding the increase of Council Tax, please contact the Council Tax Team.

Who To Contact