West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Planning Applications Online

Due to essential maintenance on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January, information and documents about individual planning applications will not be available to view on our website, including our property search pages. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Reporting Concerns About a Child or Young Person

Let us know if you think a child or young person is at risk of harm

If you are worried about a child or you think that a child is at risk of being harmed or abused, contact

If you have immediate concerns about a child's safety please contact the police:

Telephone: 101
Emergencies: 999

We take calls from members of the public and from professionals who have concerns about the welfare of a child.

How to make a professional enquiry to Children and Families Services

To decide whether an enquiry or referral to the Contact Advice and Assessment Service is appropriate, please use the pdf icon Threshold criteria for Children's Services [165kb].
All enquiries and referrals by professional agencies should be arranged through the .
If you'd like to talk about how to complete either form, please contact the .

Please provide as much information as possible and advise the parents/carers of the enquiry using the  doc icon Consent form for sharing information [207kb], unless in doing so you believe the child/young person would be put at further risk of significant harm.

Lack of information may mean the enquiry fails to meet the criteria for services and cannot be accepted into the Contact Advice and Assessment Service for further assessment.

Return the completed form to the following secure email address: child@westberks.gov.uk

A confirmation email will be sent once the form has been received.

What happens next?

Working from the information provided, we will decide if social work intervention is required on a Child Protection (CP) or Child in Need (CIN) level. An assessment or an investigation of the child's circumstances will be carried out, often through working jointly with other professionals such as an Education Welfare Officer, Teacher, GP or Health Visitor. Police will be contacted where there are allegations of harm to children or child protection issues.