West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Planning Applications Online

Due to essential maintenance on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January, information and documents about individual planning applications will not be available to view on our website, including our property search pages. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Help and Support for Vulnerable Young People

Integrated youth service support (IYSS) in West Berkshire

This service is only for young people who are considered vulnerable or in need. If you are looking for general youth activities please use the Family Information Service.

The Integrated Youth Support Service (IYSS) supports vulnerable young people in West Berkshire. We work with young people who are often, but not exclusively, at the point of crisis.

Who do we work with?

IYSS work with young people aged 11 - 19 years of age with a primary focus on the needs of children on the edge of care, those at risk of sexual exploitation, children who go missing, Looked After Children (LAC), those Leaving Care, Young Offenders, young people who are not in education training or employment, teenage parents and Unaccompanied Asylum Seekers.   IYSS deliver targeted work to prevent children experiencing these outcomes and to protect them when they are exposed to these risks.  IYSS work in partnership with other teams to deliver the most effective evidence based interventions to help children and young people.

How do we work?

We work flexibly to meet the particular needs of each young person and may work with young people across any aspect of their lives. We use a young person-centred approach - which means we focus on a young person's strengths, help them build resilience and focus on solutions, not problems. We work closely with other agencies to bring in the right practical support for each young person.
We work alongside each young person as they identify their own goals and we work with them to overcome the potential barriers to their goals. We may take action on behalf of young people, or help them to access a more specialist service as required.

How can I, or someone I know, participate in IYSS activities?

These services are for young people who have 'significant needs', which means that the young person is vulnerable and in need of intensive support to help them overcome their current difficulties.
An enquiry for help may be made by:

  • a professional: such as a teacher, social worker, education welfare officer; or
  • a concerned adult such as a parent, grandparent or family friend; or
  • a direct request by the young person

Please direct your enquiry to the .