West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Care and Support Needs Assessment

Understanding your needs and circumstances to help you stay as independent as possible

Before we can work out the best way forward in your situation, we'll talk to you to understand what you want and need.

This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful for you. It will also look at your strengths, things you can still do independently, and things where your family, carers or wider community can help you. We'll work with you to work out ways we can help maintain or improve your wellbeing and prevent and reduce the care and support you need.

The conversation may include consideration of your care and support needs against national eligibility criteria.

Arranging an assessment

Get in touch with us online for a chat about your needs.

If you're unable to tell us what you need, have communication difficulties or have no-one else to support you we will arrange for

an independent advocate to help you through the process and share your views.

National Eligibility Criteria

The Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2014 set out a national eligibility threshold. Our  webpage also provides further detail.
This means that there's a level of need at which we will offer support - it's now set by the government so it's the same wherever you live.

If you're assessed as having eligible needs; we will continue to work with you to identify solutions and agree the things we need to do to meet your requirements. We'll agree the steps with you and write them down in a detailed Care and Support plan for you. 

Specialist assessments

We will also consider if any  specialist assessments would be useful to help work out the right solutions for your needs.

If you have complex needs relating to moving and positioning, or need a major adaptation to your home, we may refer you for a specialist Occupational Therapy assessment.  There may be financial support for home adaptations available in some circumstances.

Assessment before you come out of hospital

If you've been admitted to a ward, make sure that you tell the hospital staff about any difficulties you might face when you get back home.  Our Coming out of Hospital webpage explains the process, and the various assessments that may need to take place.


Carers carry out a vital role, and have a right to an assessment of their needs as well to make sure they're being supported in the best way possible.

More information is available on our carers webpage.

Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care (formerly our 'Access for All' team)

01635 503050