West Berkshire Council

Concerned about an adult being abused or neglected?

Raise a Safeguarding Concern to get help for adults at risk of neglect, abuse or not being looked after properly

Most adults are able to make decisions about how they manage their own lives, and will do so without needing help. However, there are some who may need support for a variety of reasons.

If you think that you, or someone you know is being abused, there are ways in which you can get help.

Don't ignore the problem, blame yourself, or keep quiet about it - it's unlikely to go away on its own.

Take action straight away if:

  • You or the person are in immediate danger of being harmed or you think a crime might have been committed - call the police on the emergency number 999, or the non-urgent contact number 101, if you are not sure whether the police should be involved

  • There is an immediate risk to your or the person's health, or there is a medical emergency - call 999 and ask for the ambulance service

Get in Touch

You can report your concerns to us online (this is known as raising a "safeguarding concern").

Please contact the Safeguarding Adults Team if:

  • You think that someone may be abused or neglected by someone who is paid to provide care and support in the person's own home, or in a residential setting

  • You think that someone may be abused or neglected by any person who has contact with an adult at risk, either professionally or socially, in their own home or in the community

  • For general enquiries about how we work to protect Adults at Risk

If you would like advice about someone you think might need help, or for more information about our Adult Care Services, please contact Adult Social Care.

Sometimes an Adult at Risk may need to be cared for in a way that might restrict their liberty. For more information about this visit our Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards webpage.

Making Safeguarding Personal

We are committed to implementing Making Safeguarding Personal, a national initiative that aims to make sure that every response to a safeguarding concern is personalised. 

This means working with a person, or their representatives, to make sure the outcomes they would like are central to any work we carry out in response to a safeguarding concern. Making Safeguarding Personal aims to support people in resolving or improving their circumstances and to help ensure that safeguarding is done with, and not to, people. 

You can find more information on the Local Government Association's Making Safeguarding Personal website, including a guide to the initiative, reports about progress, and toolkits of responses.

Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care

01635 503050