West Berkshire Council

Permitted Development

Developments that may not need planning permission

Some common projects such as extensions, improvements and alterations can be undertaken without the need for planning permission. These types of development are known as 'Permitted Development'.

You may find it helpful to read the Planning Portal - Do you need permission? webpage or if your proposal relates to a dwellinghouse, the DCLG'spdf icon Guidance for Householders [908kb]

If you need written confirmation that planning permission is not required for your development, you can apply to us for a Certificate of Lawfulness
You can make this application online using the Planning Portal. Or if you prefer, you can find the forms, checklists and help notes for this on our forms page.

It's worth noting that even if you don't need planning permission for your development, the same proposal may require Building Regulations approval or may be liable for What is the Community Infrastructure Levy?.

In some instances, permitted development rights may be withdrawn by us, by issuing an Article 4 Direction.

CIL and Permitted Development

Even if you don't need planning permission for your development, you should check if your development could be liable for CIL.

If you believe CIL might be payable due to the type of development, then a Notice of Chargeable Development form should be completed and submitted to us, including the Assumption of Liability section. Please note that if you wish to claim exemption from CIL, you should wait until exemption is formally granted by us before works start.

Larger home extensions and the neighbour consultation scheme

In May 2013, the government widened 'permitted development rights' to temporarily allow larger home extensions. Note that these exclude dwellinghouses located on certain types of land such as

The planning portal  provides full information and you may also find the guidance at Planning Portal - Common Projects and Extensions helpful.

Please use the Notification of Larger Home Extension Form  and Guidance Note  to notify us of your proposed larger home extension.

Other developments

As well as catering for homeowners, in May 2013 the government widened 'permitted development rights' to allow offices to be changed to residential use, and to increase flexibility for change of use of buildings currently used for agricultural, retail, business and other commercial/professional uses, to other uses. In these cases a 'Prior Approval'  application may be required.

In some cases this is a temporary extension to the permitted development rights.  The full regulations and criteria for such extended permitted development rights are outlined in Permitted Development Rights Regulations.  

Who To Contact