West Berkshire Council

Nature Conservation

Information on ecology, biodiversity enhancement and nature conservation

We employ an ecologist to provide specialist advice to our internal departments regarding nature conservation issues. This includes advice on planning applications, planning policy, management of council owned land, maintenance and enhancement of biodiversity, the need for ecological surveys and maintenance of a nature conservation database.

West Berkshire has 51 Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), which are of national importance for the species of animal or plant life that they support or for their geology.  In addition, there are three Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) which are of international importance and cover six of the district's SSSIs.

West Berkshire also has seven Local Geological Sites and around 500 Local Wildlife Sites which are of county importance, but are essential to conserving biodiversity in the district. The Local Wildlife Sites amount to some 11% of the district or over 7,600 hectares, many of which are ancient semi-natural woodland.

The Berkshire Local Nature Partnership (LNP) has produced the Berkshire Biodiversity Strategy which identifies 17 Biodiversity Opportunity Areas (BOA) within West Berkshire. BOAs are areas where conservation action, such as habitat creation, restoration or expansion, is likely to have the greatest benefit for biodiversity.
The first major BOA project is the West Berkshire Living Landscapes (WBLL) project which we are currently working on in partnership with the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife Trust (BBOWT).

An advice note has been prepared in partnership with Natural England and the Environment Agency aimed at applicants and consultants who may wish to undertake development which could affect River Sites of Scientific Interest - pdf icon Guide to Developers - Rivers Kennet and Lambourn SSSIs [208kb]

Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre

We support the Thames Valley Environmental Records Centre (TVERC).  For further information on surveys or wildlife records, please contact TVERC.

Who To Contact