West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

Recycling Centre Permit Scheme

For use at Newtown Road and Padworth Recycling Centres

Please note that there may be a delay in receiving your permit due to Covid-19

All households in West Berkshire will have received a Household Waste Recycling Centre permit. You must display this permit in your car whenever you wish to use our recycling centres at Newtown Road (Newbury) or Padworth.

There's a separate scheme for vans and commercial type vehicles, including temporary permits for hire vehicles.

If you haven't received your permit, lost it, or you've just moved into the area, you can request a permit online.

About the Permit

We're making these changes as our recycling centres are used by a large number of people from outside the district. We feel it is unfair to ask West Berkshire Council tax payers to fund a service for residents living in other Local Authority areas.

You can see more information about Household Waste Recycling Centres, including what types of waste each one accepts.

We've also produced a pdf icon user guide [7Mb] and an pdf icon information leaflet [5Mb]  to help residents understand the new scheme.

Hampshire Residents

We made an agreement with Hampshire County Council to allow some of their residents living near the border of West Berkshire to access Newtown Road Recycling Centre, Newbury.  Eligible residents will be sent the permit by Hampshire County Council through the post.

Hampshire permits are blue and allow residents living within a defined area identified by Hampshire County Council to use the Newtown Road facility. The blue permit is subject to pdf icon terms and conditions specific to Hampshire residents [138kb].

 Restrictions for Hampshire residents

  • The permit is valid for 12 months only
  • Access is for Newtown Road Recycling Centre only
  • Access is for cars only (with trailers of an accepted size), no commercial type vehicles are allowed to use the site with a blue permit
  • Hampshire residents will not be able to use the asbestos service (contact Hampshire County Council if you need to dispose of asbestos)