West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

Annual Electoral Canvass

Completing your Household Enquiry form

Each year we are required by the government to undertake a canvass of all the households in West Berkshire to check that the information on the electoral register is up to date. We do this by sending you a Household Enquiry form.

The canvass starts in the middle of August and we will produce a new Register of Electors for the coming year.

Your Household Enquiry form

Your form, in a brown envelope, will be addressed to 'The Occupier' at your address. 

Any member of the household can complete the form and should do so as quickly as possible. 

If the property is empty or no residents are eligible to register to vote, the person responsible or owner should complete the form.

It is a legal requirement to respond to this form.

If you need help completing your form, please contact us or pop into our Market Street offices.

    Annual Electoral Canvass brown envelope
    Annual Electoral Canvass brown envelope

      If the pre-printed details are correct:

      • Go online - visit the Household Response website and confirm the details by entering your household security code (shown on the form)
      • Phone or text - call 0800 197 9871 or the text number shown on your form

      If you need to change something, add or remove someone or update the pre-printed details:

      If you do not reply quickly to our initial form, we will send you multiple reminders.

      By using online and call/text services and working with the Electoral Reform Services (who do our printing and help us deal with postal responses), we save time and money. 

      You can view our Privacy Notice online.

      After you've told us about any changes

      Once your household as been updated, any new or additional residents over the age of 16 must register to vote individually. Completing the Household Enquiry form does not mean you are registered to vote. You are not automatically registered, even if you pay the council tax for your home.

      To register:

      1. go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
      2. fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits, tax credits or pension statements
      3. look out for confirmation from your local electoral registration staff to say you're registered

      If you aren't able to go online, we'll send you a paper form (an Invitation to Register), later in the process.

      Find out more about registering to vote online.

      Who To Contact

      Contact details for West Berkshire Council's Electoral Services Team

      01635 519464