West Berkshire Council

Pupil Premium for Early Years Children (Three and Four Year Olds)

Additional money from the government for children in Early Education

If your child is three or four and receiving free childcare, your childcare provider may be able to get extra money from the government to spend on supporting your child's learning and development. Some childcare providers are missing out, as they don't have the right information to pass on in order to claim these funds.

That's where parents come in!

If you think you're eligible (check the list below), or if you're not quite sure, your first step is to speak to your childcare provider. They will ask you to complete a registration form and will apply for the funding through our Early Years Service.

Please note that this is a separate process to the Pupil Premium for Schools, which is aimed at older children.


If you receive any of the following benefits, your child might be eligible:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit run-on
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal credit

Funding might also be available if your child falls into one of the following groups:

  • has been looked after by the local authority for at least one day
  • is adopted from care
  • has left care through a special guardianship arrangement
  • has left care and is subject to a child arrangement order

Who To Contact