West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

About Bus Passes for Older and Disabled People

Information about concessionary fares for eligible residents in West Berkshire

There have been changes to this service. Please see our information for residents during the coronavirus pandemic for more details.

To Apply

Although the council offices are now open, there may be a delay in the processing of bus pass applications, requests for replacements, payments by cheque or requests for information about bus passes that are sent in by post or dropped off in person.

All requests will be processed however it may take longer than the usual 10 days.

Where possible, please apply for a bus pass in the following ways

Replacement bus passes can also be ordered online, as phone payments cannot be taken until further notice.

Please email any queries to transport@westberks.gov.uk. We will try and respond as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we unable to meet you in person to discuss your application at this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but trust you will be understanding given the current state of affairs relating to the coronavirus.

For an Older Person's Bus Pass:

You can

For Disabled Person's Concessionary Travel

You can

If you need your doctor, medical practitioner or specialist to verify your eligibility you will need to arrange for one of the following forms to be completed and attached to your application. During the current coronavirus pandemic please minimise face to face contact with medical professionals when completing the forms. If required please use email or send completed forms to your doctor, medical practitioners or specialists for validation.

pdf icon Form3A - Blind or Partially Sighted [365kb]

pdf icon Form3B - Profoundly or Severely Deaf [365kb]

pdf icon Form3C - Without Speech [365kb]

pdf icon Form3D - Severe Walking Disability [365kb]

pdf icon Form3E - Without Use of Arms [365kb]

pdf icon Form3F - Learning Disability [365kb]

pdf icon Form3G - Unable to Drive on Medical Grounds [365kb]

Frequently Asked Questions

Who's eligible?

Full details of who's eligible for each type of pass is given on the application forms. All applicants must live permanently in the West Berkshire area. Please note that:

  • people of eligible age qualify for a free National Off-Peak Bus Pass -  to find out if you can claim, use the State Pension Age calculator
  • any person with a disability who is at least five years old will be eligible for the Free National Off-Peak Bus Pass

Disabled Applicants should be of at least five years of age, and in one of the following categories:

  • is blind or partially sighted
  • is profoundly or severely deaf
  • is without speech, in any language (score of at least eight PIP points against 'communicating verbally')
  • has a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk. (score of at least eight PIP points against 'moving around')
  • does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability which started before adulthood and qualifies the person for specialist services and special educational provision
  • would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle, on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs and alcohol

What is a Free National Off-Peak Bus Pass?

The Free National Off-Peak Bus Pass will allow you to travel, without charge, on any registered local bus service in England at off-peak times (between 9:30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, all day on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).    

Your pass is not valid on:

  • football services
  • long distance coach services
  • taxis
  • trams
  • trains
  • underground services
  • community car/minibus services
  • journeys in Scotland, Wales or Ireland

How do I use the bus pass? 

When boarding the bus please show the driver your bus pass and state where you want to go. You may be required to place your pass on the scanner of the electronic ticket machine.

Can I get a replacement pass?

Please contact the Concessionary Fares Team if your card is lost, stolen or damaged to ask about getting a replacement pass. There is an electronic chip in the card, so please take care - it may not work if it is bent, comes into contact with water or direct sunlight, or is sat on. 
Please note that in most circumstances there will be a £16.50 fee for a replacement pass - however, we may be able to waive this in certain circumstances upon inspection of the pass or if you can provide a letter from the Police Crime Incident Management unit with a valid crime reference number confirming that the pass was stolen (and not lost or misplaced).

You can apply online for a replacement bus pass.

Please note that we no longer accept cash payments. Payments can be made by cheque, postal order or debit/credit card.

Renewal of passes expired on 31 October 2017

If you did not receive a replacement pass at the time and now need one to travel, you will need to apply for a new pass. Please complete the correct application (please see the information above) and submit the required evidence. 

Can I get/use travel tokens instead?

The West Berkshire Travel Token Scheme has ended and the tokens are no longer valid for travel. If you received travel tokens in the past and have not already done so, you may wish to apply for the Free National Off-Peak Bus Pass, as detailed above.

Can I use my pass for rail travel?

No these passes are for bus use only. If you wish to travel by train, discounted travel is offered by National Rail through various Rail Card schemes, including a scheme for seniors (over 60s) and those with disabilities. Please visit the National Rail Card Schemes website for more details.   

Where can I find further details?

The way that the Concessionary Fares scheme works is described in full in doc icon West Berkshire's Concessionary Fares Operator Scheme [982kb].

Who To Contact