West Berkshire Council


Making a complaint to the council

There is a simple three-stage process for corporate complaints. Thepdf icon guide to help you make a complaint [186kb] explains this process in more detail.

Stage 1- Informal Resolution

You can make a complaint online (for example, missed bin collection, anti-social behaviour), by letter or email (only corporate complaints) or by using the pdf icon Stage 1 complaint form [68kb].

Alternatively, you may make representation to a Councillor, who will pass the complaint to us on your behalf for consideration and response.

If this is the first time you have raised this complaint, it will be passed to the service that the complaint relates to for an answer. This is an informal (Stage 1) response. We will aim to reply within 15 working days, or to let you know within this time if our reply will take longer.

Stage 2- Formal Investigation

If you're not satisfied with the reply you receive at Stage 1, you have a right to ask for an review. This is a more formal complaints process (Stage 2). The Complaints Manager will review the complaint and reply within 25 working days, or advise you if the reply will take longer.

You can request a Stage 2 review through the pdf icon form Your Right to a Review- Stage 2 complaints [158kb]

Stage 3 - Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman Review

If you are still unhappy with the reply you receive you may write to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) and ask for an investigation. The LGO is an independent and impartial body. There is no charge for this service.

Procedures and policies

The council has:

Social Care Complaints

If your complaint is about Social Care Services you receive, there is a different complaints process. More information, including contact details for these services, can be found below:

Complaints against Councillors

If you have a complaint against a Councillor, or about how a Council meeting was conducted, this should be directed to the our Standards Committee for consideration.
More information on applying to the Standards Committee is available on Conduct of Elected Councillors - Complaints.

Who To Contact

Contact details for making a Corporate Complaint

(01635) 519441