West Berkshire Council


How to find or become a childminder in West Berkshire

Our Family Information Service has details of childminders available across West Berkshire.

Should my chosen childminder be registered with Ofsted?

It's important to find quality care for your child, and to understand the difference between registered and unregistered childminders.

Ofsted registration is needed if a childminder:

  • Looks after one or more children, of any age, in exchange for payment
  • Looks after those children for more than two hours a day
  • Is based within domestic premises (ie a childminder's own home)

Registered childminders will be inspected by Ofsted on a regular basis.  This is to ensure that the care and learning provided meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and the Ofsted childcare requirements.

A registered childminder with a "good" or "outstanding" Ofsted inspection outcome can receive government funding for the placement of disadvantaged 2 year olds and all 3 and 4 year olds.

How do I become a childminder?

If you're thinking of running your own childminding business, our Family Information Service can help with researching numbers and locations of existing childminders in your area. This will give you an idea of what services are already being offered, and what they currently charge, before making decisions about your own business.

To start the process of becoming a childminder, visit the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) website, for more information. Their site also gives you the opportunity to complete some of the required training online. 

Please note - West Berkshire Council no longer offer childminding training.

Who To Contact