West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Charges for Your Care

Working out how much you need to pay for your care

Social care isn't automatically provided for free, unlike health care.  Following your Care and Support Needs Assessment, you'll be offered a financial assessment along with advice about any welfare benefits that could be available to you to help pay for your care.

How much you have to pay towards the cost depends upon your personal financial circumstances only, and doesn't include those of your partner.

Some people pay the standard charge for the service they receive, whilst others pay a part of the cost, and some make no financial contribution at all.

To find out how much you might have to pay, try our online calculator. This is a rough guide only.

Your actual contribution can only be calculated after a financial assessment, we'll let you know if you need to contribute towards your care and how we've worked this out. 

You'll need to be reassessed if: 

  • your care needs change
  • your circumstances or your income change

If you choose not to complete a financial assessment, we will charge you the full contribution.

Our Policies

The way in which we work out how much you need to pay depends on the type of care you are receiving.  We provide guidance notes, along with our policies on assessment to help explain how your contribution will be calculated:

Care Home Placements - Top up payments

If we identify that the most appropriate way of meeting your assessed needs is through a Care Home placement, then when developing your support plan we will calculate a rate, called your agreed personal budget, with which we can provide accommodation to meet your needs.

If you want to choose an alternative placement that is more expensive than the one we have identified, someone must be willing and able to pay the difference between the care home fee and the amount in your personal budget for the likely duration of your stay. This is called a 'top up payment'. The pdf icon Care Home Top Up Payments leaflet [126kb] provides further information.

Health Funding

If a care package is fully funded by the health service/Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) under the NHS Continuing Care Policy you will not have to contribute towards the cost of your care package.

If the care package is only partly funded this way, we will financially assess you based on our proportion of the funding.

Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care (formerly our 'Access for All' team)

01635 503050