West Berkshire Council

Help for Carers from West Berkshire Council

On this page:

Carers assessments and working out what support you need

If you provide necessary unpaid care or support to an adult family member, friend or partner, you may be eligible for support. 

Adult carers that look after someone who lives within West Berkshire can request a carer's assessment by:

If you need help with completing your carers assessment please contact Adult Social Care, and we will provide advice on how to fill it out.

TuVida (previously known as Reading and West Berkshire Carers Hub) provide support and information to carers. If you would like further information please complete the doc icon Carers Hub Referral Form [14kb].

What is a carer's assessment?

A carer's assessment is a series of questions designed to help you think about the different ways that caring affects your life. It helps you work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family, as well as meeting your responsibilities as a carer and looking after your own wellbeing.

The carer's assessment helps you think about:

  • The care you currently provide and the tasks you carry out for the person you look after (eg washing, dressing, running errands, medication)

  • The impact caring has on your life (relationships, health and wellbeing, time to yourself)

  • How you feel about your caring role and what care you feel able to continue to provide

  • What would help you in your caring role

If you are willing and able to continue caring for the person you look after, we will take account of the support you provide when we work out what services they need. This will also help us work out if you are eligible for support funded by West Berkshire Council.

Even if you are not eligible, we can still help you find advice and support from other organisations.

Who can get a carer's assessment?

You can have a carer's assessment if you:

  • live with the person you are looking after
  • live away from the person you are looking after
  • care for someone full time
  • care for someone as well as working full or part time
  • find caring is having an impact on your health, work, relationships with family or friends

You also have the right to a carer's assessment even if the person you look after doesn't want a needs assessment themselves.

You may find our pdf icon Information for Carers Booklet [1Mb] helpful - it lists a number of organisations that can provide a range of information, advice and guidance to support you in your role as a carer.

You can also complete our Help with Adult Social Care and Support online form - this self-referral form lists useful information and advice.

What are the National Eligibility Criteria?

 The Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations set out a national eligibility threshold. This means that there is a level of need at which we will offer support. This is set by the government, so it is the same wherever you live.

There are three criteria, all of which must be met for a carers needs to be eligible for support.

Eligibility is based on identifying:

  1. Whether the carers needs for support arise because they are providing 'necessary' care to an adult

  2. Whether the carers physical or mental health is either deteriorating or at risk of doing so, or the carer is unable to achieve at least one of the following outcomes:

    • carrying out responsibilities for a child
    • caring for others
    • maintaining a habitable home
    • managing or maintaining nutrition
    • developing or maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • engaging in work, leisure, training, volunteering, education
    • making use of necessary or recreational facilities
    • engaging in recreational activities
  3. Whether the impact of the carers inability to achieve one or more of the above has a significant impact on their wellbeing

We can only give you support if you are assessed as having an eligible need.

Caring for someone under the age of 18

If you are looking after a child who needs more help than other children of their age because of an illness or disability, you should initially contact the West Berkshire 'Contact Advice and Assessment Service (CAAS)'.

Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care

01635 503050