West Berkshire Council

Eligibility for Care and Support

How we decide if we can assist with care and support

We only have a limited amount of resources that we can use to support people with social care needs. We're required by the government to decide how to best use the resources that we do have. As a result, we carry out Care and Support Needs Assessments to work out who is in need of the most help.

Full details of what we look at when we carry out an assessment, and how we make a decision, are listed below and in the regulations - you can read the regulations online, here.

Eligibility Criteria

The Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations set out a national eligibility criteria for adults needing care and support, and for carers needing support. 

You will be eligible if you have a physical or mental condition that has a significant impact on your wellbeing. 

You must also be unable to achieve at least two of the following:

  • Feed yourself
  • Maintain personal hygiene (keeping clean)
  • Manage toilet needs
  • Be appropriately clothed
  • Stay safe in your own home
  • Manage the housework in your home
  • See and keep in touch with friends and family, and meet new friends
  • Work, volunteer or do the education and training that you may need
  • Make use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • Carry out any caring responsibilities you have for a child

Further information about eligibility is available on the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) website.

Adults needing care and support

If you are not assessed as having an eligible need, we will still provide information, advice and agree any preventative actions to help you remain independent. This might include putting you in touch with other services, organisations and support groups.

If you are assessed as having eligible needs, we will work with you to identify solutions and agree the things we need to do to meet your requirements. We'll agree the steps with you and write them down in a detailed Care and Support plan. We will also talk to you about paying for your care.

Reviews for people in receipt of ongoing services

We will review your support package at least once a year.

We will contact you to check that you are happy that the correct level of help and support is being provided to meet your individual needs. People's needs can change over time, this might mean your support may increase, decrease or end.

Transition from Children's Services

Transition is the period of time when young people are moving from childhood into adulthood.

When a child is likely to need a service beyond the age of 18, we will work to understand what they want and need. We will provide information and advice about the range of universal support services available in the local area to help maintain independence. The conversation may include consideration of care and support needs against the adults eligibility criteria.

If a young person is eligible for care and support, further work will be undertaken to identify their care needs and develop a person-centered transitions pathway with input from all agencies. Our Local Offer provides further information about the transition process.

Carers needing support

Carers have a right to a Carers Assessment of their needs; for this, there is a separate national carers eligibility criteria which you can read online on the GOV.UK website.

If you are not assessed to have an eligible need, we will still provide information and advice, and put you in touch with other services and support groups that may be able to help you.

If we have assessed you as having an eligible need, we will work with you to find ways to meet your requirements. We'll agree the steps with you and write them down in a support plan.

Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care

01635 503050