West Berkshire Council

The EU Transition (Brexit)

Information for residents and businesses on how to prepare for the new rules

The UK has left the EU and the transition period came to end on 31 December. New rules have now come into into effect from 1 January 2021. It is imperative to ensure that your business and personal circumstances are prepared.

If this is the first time you have considered how the changes will affect you, we suggest you start with the Government's simple checker tool. Answer a few questions and you will receive a personalised list of actions.

EU Transition Simple Checker Tool

Page contents

Businesses and employers

Following the agreement between United Kingdom and the European Union there will be no tariffs or quotas on the movement of goods the UK produces between the UK and the EU. This is the first time the EU has agreed a zero tariff zero quota deal with any other trading partner. The Agreement also includes provisions to support trade in services (including financial services and legal services). This will provide many UK service suppliers with legal guarantees that they will not face barriers to trade when selling into the EU and will support the mobility of UK professionals who will continue to do business across the EU.

There are new rules, which all businesses should understand and follow where applicable. Businesses involved in importing or exporting goods with the EU will be particularly affected and should have a plan in place to ensure a smooth transition.

West Berkshire's agricultural businesses and farms should check the latest guidance on moving animals and animal products and importing and exporting plant products

Advice for local businesses

Government guidance

UK nationals visiting, studying, working or living in the EU

If your personal or professional life brings you to EU, then you need to consider the new rules that came into force on 1 January 2021. For a comprehensive overview, please see the Government's Living in Europe guidance.

The following Government links give guidance on specific countries and topics:

  • Country by country guidance - If you live in an European country use this tool to check the rules there.
  • Visiting Europe - Including passports, driving and travel, EHIC cards, pets and mobile roaming fees.
  • Buying things from Europe - Including consumer rights, making payments and package holidays.
  • Studying in the EU- Including information for Erasmus students and other options for higher education study abroad.
  • Family law - Including divorce and disputes about parental responsibility or child maintenance.

EU residents working or living in the UK

Most EU, EEA or Swiss citizens and their family members who are living in the UK before 1 January 2021 need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living here after 30 June 2021.

No changes will be made to your right to work arrangements before 30 June 2021, but we suggest you apply well in advance of that date.

Guidance on applying for settled status

Apply for settled status

Assisted Digital Support

If you do not have internet access or the appropriate device or skills to complete the form to apply for settled status, then you can request a phone conversation with an advisor who will help you complete your digital application. This is called Assisted Digital Support.

Request assisted digital support

For regular updates and news on the EU transition, please follow West Berkshire Council's Twitter and Instagram pages which are linked at the bottom of this page and sign up to our Business Newsletter