West Berkshire Council

Older People

Housing advice for older people

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness within 56 days, the council can provide you with advice and assistance to resolve your housing situation.

What can the service do to support you?

Duty to prevent homelessness: The council is committed to supporting applicants who are at risk of losing accommodation within 56 days. This means that we will try to prevent your homelessness by helping you to remain in your current accommodation, if that is possible. Otherwise we will explore with you alternative housing options such as securing accommodation in the private rented sector or supported accommodation.

Duty to take steps to relieve homelessness: We will assist households who are homeless to secure suitable accommodation, regardless of whether they are 'intentionally homeless' or have a priority need. This means that all eligible households will be offered help to secure accommodation.

You can approach the service to receive further advice and information about your housing situation by contacting the housing operations team on 01635 519 530 and choose option 2. Alternatively, you contact us by e-mail on housing@westberks.gov.uk 

Adult Social Care

If you are unable to stay in your accommodation due to your support needs, the Adult Social Care department at West Berkshire Council may be able to advise or support you. You can find more information by visiting https://info.westberks.gov.uk/adultcareadvice or contacting them on 01635 503 050.

Support and care provided in the home can help people live as independently as possible without the upheaval of moving. Services offered to people in their own home range from:

  • help with shopping and budgeting
  • meals on wheels
  • care services, such as help with dressing, washing
  • administering medication.

If you are of an older age and are interested in care and support, please visit the website below to find out if you are eligible for a care package and what other options are available to you.

Website: https://info.westberks.gov.uk/adultcareadvice

To receive advice about selected support services you are interested in, please visit

Website: https://www.westberks.gov.uk/helpwithcareandsupport

Local Support, Directory of Services and Information Leaflet

There are council services, charities and private support organisations who also provide care and support service to older people in their homes, including for those who are not eligible or do not wish to access social services support. Please follow the link below for more information.

Website: https://info.westberks.gov.uk/adultcareadvice

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of having their own flat with the security of having an alarm system and a warden. The flats are usually small self‐contained units or single rooms in a complex, which often has a communal social area. It is also possible to find sheltered housing to rent or to buy. The sheltered housing staff should check on you every day and be able to assist you in an emergency. They would not be expected to provide care or do things such as shopping.

If you require additional services, you can still have care provided by the social services department, such as meals on wheels, or someone to come in to get you up in the morning, help you wash, or to do your housework.

To apply for sheltered housing you will need to join the common housing register. You will need to be over 50 years old to be eligible. Sheltered properties become available to bid on every week. To join the housing register and bid for properties https://www.homechoicewestberks.org.uk/

Alternatively, contact the housing allocations team 01635 519 530 choosing option 1.


There is a priority on the common housing register for social (housing association) tenants looking to move from larger to smaller homes. If you are looking to downsize, please contact the housing allocations team for more information on 01635 519 530 choosing option 1.

Home Improvement and Adaptations

If you feel that your current accommodation does not meet your needs and may require adaptions within your home to ease your day-to-day life, you can request a visit from an occupational health therapist. This service is available through adult social service and can be made by contacting West Berkshire adult social services on 01635 503 050. For more information, please visit: https://info.westberks.gov.uk/adultcareadvice

You can also access assistance and information for adaptation service through the Home Improvement Agency of the housing services. Please call 01635 519 680 for more information.

Other related support:

Culture Dementia UK (National)

Culture Dementia UK supports carers and sufferers of dementia among the British, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities. For example, by providing respite to carers and befriending those living with dementia. It also aims to educate BAME communities on the causes of dementia and dispel myths surrounding it.

Website: Culture Dementia UK

Telephone: 080 0014 8682

Age UK Berkshire (West Berkshire and National)

Age UK Berkshire have advice services, befriending, advocacy, exercise and IT classes for older people in West Berkshire. For more information visit Age UK, Berkshire

You can contact Age UK West Berkshire by phone, in person, online, email or post.

Huntley House, 119 London Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 4QA

Phone: 0118 959 4242 
Email: info@ageukberkshire.org.uk


Silver Line a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people. It is available 24 hours, every day a year.

Telephone: 080 0470 8090 

Friends of the Elderly

Friends of the Elderly offer grants to elderly people on low incomes.  They currently have three types of grants available:

  • Home essentials - to cover the cost of replacing everyday items, small home repairs and mobility adaptations.
  • Digital connection - can be used towards the cost of equipment, such as tablets and smartphones, as well as broadband costs.
  • Financial support - to help with unexpected bills and large costs, such as utility bills, funeral costs or moving fees.

Website: www.fote.org.uk
Email: hello@fote.org.uk
Telephone: 033 0332 1110

Action on Elder Abuse - Hourglass

Action on Elder Abuse is an organisation that provides information, advice and support to older people who have been abused or those who are concerned about abuse.

The helpline can be contacted on 080 8808 8141. The helpline is available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm and will not show up on your phone bill. For more information visit: Elder Abuse

Homeshare (National)

Homeshare matches people who need help or support around the house with people who need accommodation and are willing to help. The scheme brings together "householders", someone who would like a helping hand with practical support and companionship and has a spare room with "homesharers" - someone looking for affordable accommodation, who is friendly and willing to provide 10 hours of support around the house, with computers, gardening, shopping and companionship each week. This scheme is open to people who don't qualify for formal care and also to those who already have care packages in place.

Website: https://homeshareuk.org/
Email: contact@homeshareuk.org 
Telephone: 015 1227 3499