West Berkshire Council

Chargeable Development Types Under Community Infrastructure Levy

Development types that are liable under CIL

The following types of development are liable for CIL:

  • any new dwellings (including replacement dwellings), regardless of their size or tenure
  • new residential buildings (such as extensions and annexes) where the gross new build floor area comes to more than 100 square metres
  • new retail development where the gross new build floor area comes to more than 100 square metres
  • a change of use from non-residential use, when the building in question has not been occupied in its lawful use for a continuous period of six months in the previous three years (the end point of the three years is taken from the date on which Planning Permission is granted)
  • pdf icon permitted development included prior approvals [193kb] over 100 square metres - for more information see step 3 of the CIL process

Development type

Liable (Y/N)

Relief available (Y/N)


Structures which are not buildingsNN 
Buildings into which people do not normally go or go only intermittentlyNN 
Conversions from single dwelling to two or more dwellings (no increase in gross internal area)NNAs long as it is used as a single dwelling house
Conversions from a single dwelling to two or more dwellings (increase in gross internal area)YN 
Change of use or conversion where there is no increase in floor area or any extension where existing floorspace has been in continuous lawful usePossiblyN 
Small developments of less that 100 square metres and no new dwellingsNN 
Less than 200 square metres of new mezzanine floorspace within existing buildingsNN 
Mezzanine in new buildingYNIf part of a new dwelling
Affordable housing (C3 and C4)YY 
Residential extensions, including basements (C3 and C4)YY 
Residential annexes (C3 and C4)YY 
Self builders - residential (C3 and C4)Y 
Charitable development - residential (C3 and C4)YY 
Mobile homesYY 
Log cabinsPossiblyPossiblyDepending on connectivity to services and 'movability'
Buildings associated with mobile homes/caravans (C3 and C4)YN 
Retail unit not in use (previously A1 to A5)YN 
Retail unit in use (previously A1 to A5)YN 
Business development - offices (previously B1a to B1c)NN 
Business development - industrial (B2)NN 
Business development - warehousing (B8)NN 
Hotels (C1)NN 
Residential institutions (C2 and C2a)NN 
Community and all other usesNN 


Who To Contact

For queries about Community Infrastructure Levy, S106 Planning Obligations and payment of Developer Contributions

01635 519111