West Berkshire Council

Recycling Centre Van Permit Scheme

Permits for residents whose main vehicle is a van or another commercial type vehicle

To stop trade and commercial waste being illegally deposited at our recycling centres, we've introduced a permit scheme for vans and commercial type vehicles. This is different to the residents permit sent to households in our district.

Making an Application

You can apply for a permit online.

You'll need to provide some copies of paperwork to send with your completed application:

  • your latest Council Tax bill
  • V5/V5C (vehicle registration certificate inside page showing the vehicle and registered keeper's details)

The easiest way to send us copies of your paperwork is to photograph them with your smartphone, and upload them to the form. We can accept scanned copies too.

Alternatively you can .

Please note it could take up to 10 working days to receive a response to your application.

Why is this information important?

The Commercial Type Vehicle Permits are vehicle registration-specific. This registration is linked to the address for which you pay your Council Tax, so we need to check that this is correct before we can issue a permit. Permits for commercial type vehicles will expire after two years and are subject to the pdf icon permit scheme Terms and Conditions. [142kb]


For a list of vehicle restrictions, and advice on commercial permits, please read the pdf icon scheme User Guide [3Mb].

Commercial Type Vehicles

Commercial type vehicles are defined as those that meet one or more of the following descriptions:

  • are designed to carry goods
  • have no rear windows (this means rear windows which are side-facing)
  • have no rear seats
  • have an open back
  • have a back which is separate to the main cab area
  • are a car-derived van
  • have any company sign writing or livery (this includes cars)

If the only vehicle you have registered at your home address fits one or more of the descriptions above as a commercial type vehicle, and you have no alternative mode of transport to take your household waste to a Recycling Centre, you'll need to apply online for a commercial type vehicle permit.

Hired Vans

Hired commercial vans can use our Recycling Centres, with some restrictions:

  • their hire duration should be three days or less 
  • they need to be temporarily registered with the recycling centre for the duration of their hire

Temporary Registration

To register your hired commercial van, you'll need to complete a Household Waste Declaration Form. You can pdf icon dowload the Household Waste Declaration Form [123kb] or collect and complete this form at the site office when you arrive. If you decide to download the form and complete it before you arrive, please only fill in the first part. Sections 1 - 3 need to be completed at the site office.

Whether you bring the form with you or not, you'll need to bring the following documents along to show the site staff:

  • an official document which identifies you as a resident of West Berkshire (ie a utility or Council Tax bill)
  • photo ID (ie a passport or drivers license)
  • a copy of your hire agreement, which should include your home address