West Berkshire Council

Schools Funding

How we work out funding for our schools

We use a formula to work out how to fund our mainstream schools. This formula has to be in line with the national regulations about school finance. West Berkshire Council creates the formula by each January to apply from the beginning of the following financial year. We consult with our schools and the Schools Forum before the final formula is decided.

Gov.uk has more about the school funding arrangements for 2021/22.

West Berkshire Council pays early years providers for the actual number of hours provision for each child. This includes academies and maintained schools. We use the excel icon Early Years Single Funding Formula (EYSFF) [85kb] for three- and four-year-olds to work this out. Funding for disadvantaged two-year-olds is based on a fixed hourly rate. 

Gov.uk has more about the early years funding arrangements for 2021/22.

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) provides annual funding allocations for post-16 pupils. You can read more about 16-19 funding on the Gov.uk website.

Funding outside the formula


Other funding

High needs funding

The funding arrangements for pupils with high needs are set by the government on an annual basis. 

The High Needs Funding arrangements for 2021/22 can be found on the Gov.uk website.

Place funding for special schools, resource units and pupil referral units

Pupils placed in these schools / resource units aren't counted when calculating the main school formula. Instead, the school receives £10,000 per number of places in the school / resource unit. 
This is based on the number of places agreed by the Department for Education on an academic year basis.

Top-up funding for high needs pupils

Funding is designated to pupils according to their needs, as set out in their SEN statement or Education Health and Care plan (EHCP). Where the cost exceeds the threshold place funding (£10,000 in special schools / units, £6,000 in mainstream schools), top-up funding is paid. 
Funding follows the pupil - it's based on number of days the pupil is in the school and is paid to the school by the local authority where the pupil lives.

Capital Funding

Information on capital funding for schools can be found on the Gov.uk website.

Who To Contact