West Berkshire Council

Help with Getting Around

Sources of help if you need assistance with mobility

Wheelchairs and Mobility Scooters

If you need a wheelchair to help you get around, the NHS can arrange for an assessment to help with the costs involved.  Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading also run a Wheelchair Clinic that can help you obtain the equipment you need.

If you need a wheelchair, scooter or other mobility equipment for a short period, you can loan on a daily or weekly basis through Newbury Shopmobility

You can also hire wheelchairs from British Red Cross - Berkshire or Wheelfreedom.

If you already have a wheelchair and need it to be serviced or adjusted, or intend to purchase one privately or through an NHS voucher, a local supplier providng this service is NRS

Leaving Hospital

When leaving hospital, health staff and the Maximising Independence Team will arrange for any continuing care you might need to help you keep as independent as possible. Our Support Leaving Hospital (Maximising Independence Team) webpage has further information on this process.

The Reablement Service (HomeSafe / Home Improvement Service) may also provide information and support in helping you get around after a stay in hospital.


Community Alarms and Telecare equipment can offer peace of mind to help you feel able to be as independent as possible in your own home.


West Berkshire Council provides Community Transport services - a list of wheelchair accessible taxis serving the Newbury area is also available.

Many council-owned car parks have dedicated spaces for Blue Badge holders.

Do you still need help?

Get in touch with us and tell us what you're looking for.