West Berkshire Council

Caravan Sites and Park Homes

Licensing of caravan parks, inspections, complaints and appeals

If you would like to see a list of caravan sites and park homes in West Berkshire and Wokingham please contact us.

Site licences

All privately-owned park home sites require planning permission and a site licence (with a few exemptions).
The Gov.uk website offers a guide explaining your rights and obligations and includes other information you may find useful.

Certain functions carry a fee or charge, please see policy below.

To apply for or discuss a site licence, get in touch with our residential team.

Changes to site licences

To vary a site licence (for instance in order to increase the number of permitted units onsite), the licence holder must apply to our residential team in writing to Council Offices, Market Street, Newbury.  The letter should include detailed proposals and a site plan (if relevant).
As part of this process, the residents of the site are consulted where there is an application to vary a site licence.

When the holder of a site licence no longer occupies the land, the licence needs to be transferred to a new occupier.
The name and contact details of the new occupier and the date of the transfer must be sent to us in writing. 

Site inspections

The licence holder has a duty to ensure that mobile home parks comply with the conditions set out in their site licence. We don't have a legal duty to regularly inspect such sites, but we can carry out periodic visits based on how much risk they are assessed to represent; sites that are given a high risk score are visited more frequently than sites with a low score.

Site rules

We publish a full list of site rules for park homes for sites in the Wokingham Borough Council and West Berkshire Council areas.


If you have a complaint about a mobile home park, your first step should be to contact the site owner or manager. If they fail to resolve the problem, get in touch with us for advice.

Bear in mind that park rules and other matters which aren't covered under the site licence are purely between the resident and site owner/manager - we can only advise if there is some aspect of your complaint which impacts the conditions under which the licence has been granted. 

If you are unable to resolve any unrelated issues, we advise that you get advice from a solicitor or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Appealing against decisions

You can appeal to a tribunal if you disagree with a decision we've made about your park home. 
The housing tribunals page on the Gov.uk website has full details about out how to appeal.

For more details, visit the websites of the British Holiday and Home Park Association and National Park Homes Council.

Who To Contact