West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Highway Related Search Information

Finding information on adopted roads, rights of way and traffic schemes and making highway search enquiries

Adopted roads and road classification

You can view Adopted Roads on our online map.

To show more information select the 'Show information' button above the map. The information banner shows below the map

Public Rights of Way

You can view Public Rights of Way on our online map.

Select 'Public Rights of Way' from the right hand menu and choose the option you want to see.
For more information select the 'Show information' button above the map. The information banner shows below the map.  

If you require a verified Public Rights of Way map, please contact the Definitive Map Officer.

If the chosen layer disappears or does not show in the viewer, please use the zoom out tool until the layer becomes visible.

Road and traffic schemes

All of the following road and traffic related orders are subject to formal public consultation. This information is available on our consultation page.

  • New roads or alterations to existing road
  • Restrictions on the movement of traffic
  • Traffic calming works
  • Pedestrian crossings
  • Cycle tracks
  • Residents parking controls
  • Stopping up, extinguishment, downgrading and diversion of highways

Electronic records are held from 1 April 2006. If you require information from before this date, we'll need to perform a detailed search. This will cost £40.

Highway Search Enquiries

For the supply of highway related information the fees are as follows:

  • A4 plan showing up to 100m of public highway boundary extent - £51
  • Per additional 100m of highway - £14
  • Per additional question - £14
  • Additional questions may include information about the following:
    • Current and proposed road improvement/widening schemes
    • Public Rights of Way
    • Dedication information
    • Future works which may affect traffic in the area

A quote can be sent free of charge if required. Please email our Highways Asset Management Team.

These charges cover the cost involved in researching historic maps and archived documents, as well as site visits in some cases.

Your enquiry should be made in writing, accompanied by a plan of the area to be searched and a cheque for the correct amount made payable to West Berkshire Council. This should be sent to our Market Street Offices for the attention of Transport and Countryside - Asset Management Team

Upon receipt of payment, we will aim to provide a response to your enquiry within ten working days.

What is not included in a Highway Search Enquiry?

Some things aren't included in a Highway Search Enquiry, such as:

  • Road Maintenance and Parking Issues - for enquiries relating to maintenance such as potholes in roads or footpaths, grass cutting or parking issues please report a problem here, or alternatively, please contact
  • Planning Applications - for information relating to specific planning applications, please contact the Planning Service
  • Local Search Enquiries - for enquiries relating to Local Searches, the Local Land Charger Register or CON29, please contact Local Land Charges
  • Land Ownership -  in most cases, the council does not own highway land - all general land ownership enquiries should be directed to the Land Registry
  • Copies of Legal Agreements and Documents - copies of agreements, for example Section 38 and Section 278 Agreements under the Highways Act 1980 may be obtained from Legal Services

Who To Contact

For enquiries about the Definitive Map for Public Rights of Way in West Berkshire

01635 503251