West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Giving Legal Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

How to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in West Berkshire

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church of Wales by Banns or Common Licence, notice must be given by each of you, in person, to your local Superintendent Registrar. No one else can give notice on your behalf. You must both have been resident in the district for at least seven days before a notice can be given. If you live in different registration districts then each of you will need to give notice in your own district.

If you live in West Berkshire, and neither of you are subject to immigration control, notice can be given at The Register Office, Shaw House.

Once notice has been given, the details will be displayed on a public notice board for 28 days. If either or both of you are subject to immigration control, the period could be extended to 70 days under certain circumstances. Please bear this in mind when making arrangements for your ceremony and notice appointment. A Certificate of Marriage can then be issued and is valid for one year from the date on which the notice was given. You must have decided where the marriage or civil partnership is to take place before you give notice as this must be stated on the legal documentation.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes. Notice of marriage is taken by appointment only, please ring us to make an appointment.

What documents will I need to produce?

When you telephone to make an appointment we will explain the documents required, but they will include:

  • evidence of identity and nationality - a passport is the ideal document, but a birth certificate may also be accepted depending on your circumstances
  • evidence of address - this may include a driving licence, council tax bill, recent utility bill or bank statement
  • evidence that a previous marriage or civil partnership has ended - if you are divorced, and your divorce was granted in England or Wales,  you will need to produce a court sealed Final and Absolute; if you were divorced elsewhere, you must produce the original document issued by that country along with a translation if necessary, there is a fee payable for the clearance of a foreign divorce; if you are widowed please bring the death certificate of your previous spouse
  • evidence of a change of name
  • a pdf icon notice fee [69kb]
  • pdf icon marriage fee [69kb] - if your ceremony is taking place in West Berkshire you will also need to pay this fee when you give notice
  • if either of you is under the age of 18 you will need to produce evidence that consent has been given by your parent(s) or guardian - please contact us for a consent form

Please be aware that photocopies of any of these documents will not be acceptable.

Foreign Nationals

All foreign nationals outside the EEA are subject to immigration control and will have to give notice at a designated office. West Berkshire is not a designated office and we will be unable to take your notices, although you will still be able to get married in this district. The closest designated office is Reading Register Office. Their telephone number is 01189 373533.

Who To Contact