West Berkshire Council

Educational Psychology

Promoting positive outcomes for vulnerable children and young people

Your child's school or West Berkshire Council may ask an educational psychologist to work with your child, usually to investigate his or her needs or to help plan support.

You will always be asked for permission and involved in all steps of this process.

If you think your child would benefit from an educational psychologist's help then please speak to the class teacher or SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) who will discuss this further with you.

Who we help

We promote positive outcomes for vulnerable groups of children and young people (aged 0-25). 
This could include those: 

  • at risk of permanent exclusion
  • in care and those with social work involvement who are of concern
  • in vulnerable groups who have complex learning or behaviour needs, including those eligible for Pupil Premium
  • with emotional and mental health needs who may also present with behavioural difficulties
  • with statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN), where there are concerns about their progress despite interventions that are monitored and evaluated
  • who have severe, complex and persistent needs where the school is struggling to overcome the barriers to progress

How we help

We can provide:

  • professional development and training of staff
  • consultation with staff and parents
  • support for groups of staff
  • therapeutic interventions
  • psychological assessments, monitoring, review and evaluation
  • advice, support and coaching
  • direct work with individual pupils and small groups
  • critical incident support
  • research and analysis
  • support for other teams and organizations who work with children and young people, promoting an understanding of psychology
  • support for schools in challenging circumstances
  • commissioned work - eg work with Looked After Children (LAC) team

We also contribute to West Berkshire Council's statutory assessment of Special Educational Needs (SEN) and the production of the Education Health and Care Plan.

Who To Contact