West Berkshire Council

Shared Ownership

Information about part rent/part buy and Help to Buy schemes

Shared ownership is designed for people who cannot afford to buy a house on the open market but still want to get on the property ladder.

An initial share is bought (usually 25 per cent to 75 per cent) and rent is paid on the remaining part. There are two monthly payments, one for the mortgage and one for the rent. However, these are still less than the mortgage would be on an open market property.

The other share in your home is owned by a housing association or a developer. It may be possible for you to increase or decrease the share you own later. This is known as staircasing.

Selling a Shared Ownership Property

When you sell a shared ownership property, the proceeds are split according to the shares that you and the housing association or developer own. For example, if you own a 50 per cent share, you would get 50 per cent of the value of the property when you sell it.

However, if you had staircased, for example, from a 50 per cent to an 80 per cent share, you would get 80 per cent of the value of the property when you sell it.

To find out more about shared ownership, including how to sell a Shared Ownership property, please see the Help to Buy South website or contact the Housing Development Team.

Who To Contact

Contact details for West Berkshire Council's Housing Development Team

(01635) 551111