West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Supporting People with Physical Disabilities

Helping to find support for people with physical disabilities

We work with people with physical disabilities, including conditions such as

  • degenerative progressive illness (eg Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington's Chorea, Parkinson's Disease, Motor Neurone Disease and other complex neurological long-term conditions)
  • acquired brain injuries - physical trauma, strokes
  • traumatic neurological injury - paraplegia, quadriplegia
  • bone diseases

We want to support people so that they can live as independently as possible, preferably within their own home.

First, we'll have a conversation about the best way forward in your situation. This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful. It will also include consideration of your strengths, things you can still do independently, and those things where your family, carers or wider community can help.

The conversation we have may include consideration of your care and support needs against national eligibility criteria. 

Contact Adult Social Care as a first step.

How we can help

We can help by offering:

  • expertise, knowledge and experience
  • information, advice and connecting you with other specialist services
  • routine reviews to ensure that care arrangements are still meeting your needs and are of an acceptable quality
  • legal expertise and advice, and where appropriate, mental capacity assessments and best interest assessments
  • help at home to support people to look after themselves and perform essential daily tasks
  • supporting carers to enable them to continue in their role; we recognise the value of providing carers with good support
  • exploring NHS Continuing Health Care eligibility
  • Safeguarding adults at risk - we work with other agencies to prevent abuse of adults at risk and investigate any concerns

In addition, we can put you in touch with specialist Occupational Therapists who can provide equipment and assistive technology to maximise people's ability to live independently.  They may also provide support by:

  • helping those with long term conditions to promote and retain their independence
  • advising on posture and seating
  • performing Moving and Positioning Assessments
  • advising carers (eg on manual handling)
  • identifying suitable alternative accommodation
  • helping with end of life care

Occupational Therapists also process Disabled Facilities Grants for home adaptions to support and promote independence within the person's own home.

Where an individual receives social care services funded by West Berkshire Council, we'll offer a financial assessment to help understand any charges for your care

We'll also offer advice where someone lacks the capacity to manage their affairs and finances.


Who To Contact

Our contact centre for Adult Social Care (formerly our 'Access for All' team)

01635 503050