West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find information about community support and our services during the coronavirus pandemic, on our information for residents pages, our information for businesses pages, and our community support hub page which has guidance to help coordinate community organisations.

See a summary of our Local Outbreak Control Plan and read our frequently asked questions. 

Temporarily Closing a Road or Public Right of Way

Closing a road for works or a large event

You can view current and planned road closures here.

Applying to close a road or Public Right of Way (PROW)

Roads can need to be closed for a range of reasons, to allow for repair, construction or demolition, or to allow events, festivals or demonstrations to take place.  Closures will only generally take place when all other options to control traffic have been considered and aren't found to be suitable.

If you wish to apply for a road to be closed, please complete a Temporary Road Closure form at least 10 weeks in advance of your proposed closure date. This is to allow us sufficient time to make sure that the closure doesn't clash with any other works/events, and for us to advertise the closure in the local paper.

Depending on the type of Road Closure Order, there may be a cost involved (in the region of £1,000 to £1,500) which you will need to agree to fund.  The sum is calculated based on the cost of advertising the closure, plus legal costs. 
You will also be responsible for providing all temporary signs at the start of the closure and on the diversion route.

Street Parties

Street parties have a specific definition. They must:

  • apply to the residents of one or two streets only and not to larger areas - they will generally involve less than 150 people as a result
  • not be publicised for the general public or draw in people from the wider area
  • not include amplified entertainment which may cause nuisance to the wider area
  • not include the sale of alcohol or food
  • have a 'declaration of indemnity' (included on the application form) signed and agreed to by the organisers / residents

If you are intending to hold a street party please complete the doc icon Street Party Application Form [56kb] and complete a doc icon risk assessment [24kb]

Who To Contact