West Berkshire Council

School Complaints

Guidance on the school complaints process

Please note that West Berkshire Council have no role in school complaints. 

If you have a concern or complaint, your first step should be to make your complaint directly to your child's school

All schools are required to have their own complaints procedure. You should ask the school for a copy of their policy and procedure on complaints, which will explain what you need to do next.  You may be able to find this document on the school's website.

If your complaint isn't resolved by teaching staff or the Headteacher, you can write formally to the Chair of Governors (c/o the school address) outlining your concern.
If you're then unhappy with the way your complaint was dealt with by the Governing Body, you can contact the Department for Education using the online school complaints form.

Complaints about the curriculum, sex education and religious worship in maintained schools should be directed to the Department for Education

Academies and independent schools

If you wish to complain about an academy, you should follow the academy's formal complaints procedure or contact the Education Funding Agency (EFA).

The Independent Schools Inspectorate can provide guidance on the complaints procedure for independent schools.