West Berkshire Council

Rented Housing Regulation

Inspection, regulation and enforcement in the private rented sector

We regulate rented housing in West Berkshire and Wokingham and have powers of enforcement to make sure that laws relating to environmental health (for instance laws relating to housing standards and conditions, drainage and sanitation) are followed. 

The government offer guidance for private tenants and landlords about making sure a property is fit to be lived in, and what to do if problems occur.


To make sure houses are fit to be lived in, we conduct inspections.  We inspect properties using the guidance on the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS) set out by the government. 

The government also publish guidance for landlords on the HHSRS, the system we use to assess conditions, risks and hazards in these inspections. 

To arrange an inspection please contact us.


If there are disputes related to living in or owning rented property the Residential Property Tribunal is designed to settle them - contact them directly to discuss your case.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property which is let to at least three tenants who form more than one household, and who share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities. 
The Gov.uk website has additional information on HMOs.

Information for tenants

We are responsible for enforcing HMO standards. 
Contact us if you live in a HMO and you feel there are any unreasonable hazards which your private landlord is not dealing with.

Licensable criteria

Certain larger types of HMO must be licensed with us. This is because they present certain risks which smaller properties don't. For instance, escaping from a fire may be more difficult in a HMO. 

Public Register of HMOs

We hold a Public Register of Houses in Multiple Occupation in West Berkshire
Wokingham residents should contact us if they would like to view a copy of the register for their area.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

In line with The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015, we publish a pdf icon Statement of Principles [59kb].

The document outlines the terms under which we enforce the law relating to smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and how we penalise those landlords found negligent.

The Gov.uk website also provides an explanatory booklet for landlords and tenants about the law.

Who To Contact