West Berkshire Council

Emergency Planning Key Contacts

Useful contact details for a range of partners and services during emergencies

National Highways

To report flooding on the M4 or A34 contact National Highways on 0300 123 5000.


West Berkshire Highways

You can report issues relating to a highway, such as broken streetlights, flooding on a road and potholes, online here.

You can also find out about when and where we're performing scheduled maintenance on our roads here.

Highways also provide emergency response to flooding by closing roads, setting up diversions, pumping flooded waterways, and providing sandbags to properties and communities threatened by flooded highways, where resources permit.


Environment Agency

To report flooding from a main river contact the Environment Agency through the Floodline on 0345 988 1188.


Thames Water

To report flooding from a Thames Water burst water main or sewer contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.


Smell Gas?

If you think you have a gas leak, or can smell gas, leave the house and phone the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999.


Power Cut?

If you have a power cut call the national power cut helpline on 105 to get up-to-date information. They should also be able to let you know when the power will be back on.


Air Quality

Information on the latest pollution levels, air quality forecasts, recommended actions and health advice is available from the Defra UK-Air website or by calling 0800 55 66 77.


WBDC Adult Social Care Service

For out-of-hours social care emergencies, please contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01344 786543 or email edt@bracknell-forest.gov.uk.

During office hours, the Adult Social Care team can be contacted via:

Tel: 01635 503050

Fax: 01635 503399

For out-of-hours safeguarding emergencies, please contact the Emergency Duty Team 01344 786512 or email edt@bracknell-forest.gov.uk.

During office hours, the Family Information Service can be contacted via:

Phone: 01635 503100

Email: fis@westberks.gov.uk