West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council logo
Planning Applications Online

Due to essential maintenance on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January, information and documents about individual planning applications will not be available to view on our website, including our property search pages. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Vehicle Crossings over Pavements (Footways) and Verges

Vehicle access to your property over a pavement or grass verge

If you'd like to construct a vehicle access over a pavement (footway) and/or over grass verges in the highway (eg for use as a driveway), you must gain permission from the local highway authority (West Berkshire Council) before you do so.

If you already have a vehicle access which you want to extend, or you wish to construct a second access on the same road as your postal address, you will also need to apply for consent.

If your property is located on a classified road (Class A, B and C roads) you will first need to obtain planning consent before a vehicle access application can be submitted.

Our online map contains information on road classification in West Berkshire.

You must make sure you have obtained consent before starting work, as failure do so is illegal under the Highways Act 1980.


To make an application please complete the pdf icon application form [527kb].