Data collection related to schools and school pupils in West Berkshire
All schools are required by law to submit information through the School Census regarding their pupils, in the autumn, spring and summer terms. The data that is returned from local authority-maintained schools is received electronically by West Berkshire Council, generated by the schools' management information systems.
Academy schools in West Berkshire also share School Census data with us.
We check all the data we receive before sending it on to the Department of Education, and make some reports available to the public.
Current reports available from recent School Census returns include information on:
- pupil numbers by school age and by National Curriculum Year
- trends in pupil numbers over the last five years
- the number and percentage of pupils eligible for Free School Meals
- pupil numbers by gender, also gender by National Curriculum Year
- the number of pupils classified as having Special Educational Needs
- the number of pupils that are the children of service personnel
- pupil ethnicity and first language
- exclusions by category and by reason
Please note that not all reports contain information on all of these topics. Some are only reported once per school year. You can browse our recent reports in the Documents section at the foot of this page.
School Census dates for the coming year are available via the Gov.uk website.