West Berkshire Museum
West Berkshire Museum is currently closed for refurbishment. We will re-open on to the public on Monday 25 August 2014!
There has been a museum in the Cloth Hall in Newbury since 1904, but some of the collections were first put together in the 1840s by the Newbury Literary and Scientific Institute .
Things have changed a bit since then. These days we are a community museum representing the whole of West Berkshire and offering a friendly welcome to visitors, groups and societies. The work of the museum goes on both inside our building and out and about in communities across the district. There are lots of ways to join in - you can:
- see our regularly changing exhibitions on local subjects
- discover two of West Berkshire's most important historic buildings
- come to our activities and events
- find out what's in our collections
- visit our "Discovery" area to explore our local history books, maps and other resources and find out more about your family or home
- treat yourself to something from our café
- become a volunteer
- join the Friends of West Berkshire Museum
- hire our community space
- find activities and resources for schools and those looking to learn something new