Core Strategy Development Plan Document (DPD)
Our overall planning strategy and policies to 2026
The Core Strategy is a development plan document which sets out our overall planning strategy to 2026. It explains our vision for the area, and how it will be delivered. It also provides a framework for more detailed policies which will be contained in future development plan documents prepared as part of the Local Plan.
The Core Strategy is very important when we are determining planning applications. Applications have to be determined in accordance with the Core Strategy policies unless there are material considerations for not doing so.
Policies are shown on the Core Strategy Policies Map [40Mb] (or Core Strategy Policies Map reduced file size [8Mb]) and the West Berkshire Online Map (hint: select 'LDF' in the legend of the online map)
Individual Core Strategy Policies
We have divided the district into four main geographical areas which reflect the characteristics of the different parts of West Berkshire. Each area has its own policy which sets out how development will be delivered.
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 1 - Spatial Strategy [199kb]
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 2 - Newbury [189kb]
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 3 - Thatcham [478kb]
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 4 - Eastern Area [354kb]
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 5 - North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) [359kb]
- Area Delivery Plan Policy 6 - East Kennet Valley [394kb]
We apply these policies across the whole district.
- Policy CS1: Delivering New Homes and Retaining the Housing Stock [183kb]
- Policy CS2: Newbury Racecourse Strategic Site Allocation [177kb]
- Policy CS3: Sandleford Strategic Site Allocation [181kb]
- Policy CS4: Housing Type and Mix [481kb]
- Policy CS5: Infrastructure Requirements and Delivery [332kb]
- Policy CS6: Provision of Affordable Housing [188kb]
- Policy CS7: Gypsies, Travellers and Travelling Showpeople [180kb]
- Policy CS8: Nuclear Installations - AWE Aldermaston and Burghfield [186kb]
- Policy CS9: Location and Type of Business Development [262kb]
- Policy CS10: Rural Economy [330kb]
- Policy CS11: Hierarchy of Centres [1Mb]
- Policy CS12: Equestrian/Racehorse Industry [242kb]
- Policy CS13: Transport [350kb]
- Policy CS14: Design Principles [179kb]
- Policy CS15: Sustainable Construction and Energy Efficiency [181kb]
- Policy CS16: Flooding [186kb]
- Policy CS17: Biodiversity and Geodiversity [528kb]
- Policy CS18: Green Infrastructure [835kb]
- Policy CS19: Historic Environment and Landscape Character [465kb]